Welcome to the ACSF Resource Page for Safety Management Systems (SMS).
This page includes links to important information to help support the implementation and on-going operation of your SMS.
Be aware that some files on this page are quite large and may take some time to download, especially if you are not using a broadband internet connection.
The ACSF SMS Overview document provides an introduction to SMS.
- AC-120-92B: Safety Management Systems for Aviation Service Providers
- NPRM Part 5 Regulatory Text
- NPRM Part 5 Air Carrier Gap Analysis Tool
- NPRM SAI Safety Policy
- NPRM SAI Safety Risk Management
- NPRM SAI Safety Assurance
- NPRM SAI Safety Promotion
- FAA InFO - SMS Developments for General Aviation Operators
- FAA Notice - SMS Update (PDF Doc.)
- FAA Introduction to SMS (PowerPoint Presentaion, 10MB)
- SMS for Small Service Providers - FAA Presentation (PowerPoint Presentation with Audio - *Please note, this file will download to your computer as a .zip folder.) This will take a few minutes to load as it is a large file.
- SMS Key Points - FAA Presentation (PowerPoint Presentation with Audio - *Please note, this file will download to your computer as a .zip folder.) This will take a few minutes to load as it is a large file.
- FAA SMS Framework Guide Rev. 3 (PDF Doc.)
- FAA SMS Assurance Guide Rev. 3 (PDF Doc.)
- ICAO Safety Management Manual - 3rd Edition 2012 (PDF Doc.)
- FAA InFO Explaining SMS Developments
- FAA Order 8000.369B
- FAA Order 8900.1, Volume 17 SMS Voluntary Program
- FAA Website - SMS
SMS Focus Group
ACSF is an active participant in the FAA/Industry SMS Focus Group. The following files were presented to the SMS Focus Group and cover "lessons learned" by air charter operators and shared aircraft ownership management companies that have implemented a SMS.
SMS Aviation Rulemaking Committee
ACSF Director of Safety Management Russ Lawton has been named to the FAA's SMS Aviation Rulemaking Committee.
Articles highlighting several aspects of SMS programs are featured below.